Sunday, November 27, 2011

Making Right Turns

The money issue.  I figured, if some stranger on the phone can convince Mum to walk up to Post Office straight away and get a money order to send him, surely I can persuade her to let me re-arrange her money and co-sign her account!

So I talked to her today.  I realised I need to change my habits of communicating with her, as Bob recommends in Alzheimer's Reading Room.  My habit is to listen closely and follow her logic and reasoning.  That's been getting me nowhere for years.  Now I realise the change I've got to make is like making a sudden right hand turn - leading her not where her patchy logic leads, but where I want to take her - in order to protect her from the deficits in herself that she does not acknowledge or recognise.  Seemed to work as she agreed to getting a bank account holding the bulk of her savings which I have to co-sign for her to access.  Now I'm just getting the details from the bank about what they can offer, then we'll be able to set it up.  She's not agreeing to direct debiting regular bills yet - perhaps that's too foreign an idea for her. So for the time being I'll have to try and monitor them and separate them from the junk mail!

So my new lesson is, remember the Right Turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!