Thursday, January 19, 2012

Detour - there's a funny road ahead (as the song says!)

As I waited for the first "in home cleaning service" to start (all day - to no avail, again - but that's another story!) at Mum's place today, I asked her to give me the Enduring Power of Attorney she'd made out for me years ago, as I thought I may need the original sometime soon (some places accepting a photocopy, and other places not).  I felt a bit ....something......apologetic almost - because I thought she might balk at the idea that she can't make her own decisions.  But no, that wasn't an issue - the issue for her was she had no idea what it was and absolutely no memory of having done it when I reminded her.  What could be a better indication of the need for me to obtain it?  She was in fact very co-operative, and we searched together in several possible locations - she only remembered one of them!  We found a very formal looking document headed Advance Health Directive - I flipped through it and saw the words EPOA in it, so took it with me.  Of course, when I got it home and went through it thoroughly, it was NOT the EPOA - I say of course because EVERYTHING on this journey is complicated. Nothing straightforward.  Its a journey of detours and detours and detours, such that if I don't actually list the things I have achieved I begin to feel I've achieved nothing except going in circles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!