Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Food Victory

I had such a food victory with Mum yesterday.

For some weeks I have been monitoring her buying and eating food - noticing she's been buying and eating less dinners (more cereal, breakfast and lunch type foods - and more lollies!) and shopping for food only when its run right out.  Also substituting corner store small purchases for a proper supermarket shop.  Sometimes.  Because, of course, the course of true Alzheimer's is never a straight line!

So consequently I have been giving a lot of thought to what will be the best solution to this emerging puzzle.  I've done some background investigating and decided Meals On Wheels will be the best substitute to this diminishing capacity to feed herself.  It will also provide her with some much needed social contact as they call and deliver, and provide someone else to "visit and check" besides me! When the time is "right".

I was aware on the weekend the supplies were getting very low, so started calling about how much she had left and what she was going to eat each day. On Monday we had torrential rain - which was stopping her going out to shop as well.  That night I was plagued by the need to take action.  I investigated online shopping, even when my tired brain could hardly stand all the fiddling entries! But by Tuesday morning (after sleeping badly again) I'd decided it was time to engage Meals on Wheels.  They're so friendly and understanding too.  So I ordered it on her behalf and they can start the very next day!  Done.  Told her - somehow she accepted it - after all it was still to wet to go out!  Thank you rain!!! So from now on they'll deliver at least one proper meal every day Monday to Friday - shopping won't matter so much, and one less thing for me to monitor and worry over.

Sometimes its all about timing - things slip into place when some feasible excuse comes up and Mum accepts it.  I'm often waiting for opportunity to knock.

Now all I have to do is get the mongrel "homecare service" happening. Its up to official complaint level now.  But I can't bear to go into those details.

Thinking of victories only at the moment!

1 comment:

  1. Paula, the meals on wheels is a wonderful service, and like you said it also provides another person looking in on your mom.
    I hope the home care is started soon..
    Hang in there....you're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!